Proofreading is far more involved than most people think. A full proofread is the final stage quality control, before you release your writing into the world. At this point it’s essential that your work has been polished to within an inch of its life. During a proofread, I will do the following:
- ensure correct grammar, punctuation and spelling throughout
- check for incorrect or over-use of capitals and hyphens
- ensure consistent and correct use of en/em rules and ellipses
- pick up pronouns with missing antecedents
- check for consistent and correct use of punctuation within dialogue
- check consistency of default and nested quotation marks
- check that all names and dates are correct
- double-check references to facts, quotes, people, real events, legal issues etc.
- ensure consistent formatting of headings, bulleted lists, etc.
- look for inconsistencies in chapter sequence, page numbering, spacing and text alignment
PLEASE NOTE: Many proofreading projects would also benefit from some light copy-edits. If I feel this is the case for your project, I will contact you to discuss the fee prior to starting work.
Proofreading is carried out using MS Word Track Changes or PDF annotations.
I can also proofread on hard copy using British Standard proofreading marks.
I will return two copies of your project: one showing mark-ups and one clean, final copy.
I will also provide comments and feedback where appropriate.